Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Sunday, January 23, 2011
"I have said lately that women are like lionesses at the gate of the home. Whatever happens in that home and family happens because she cares about it and it matters to her. She guards that gate, and things matter to that family if they matter to her. For example, if the lioness at the gate believes in the law of tithing, tithing will be paid in that family. If that family has a humble little portion of ten pesos coming in, that lioness will safeguard the one peso if tithing is important to her. If that lioness at the gate knows about renewing her baptismal covenants with God, she will be in sacrament meeting on Sunday, and she will prepare her children to be there. They will be washed, cleaned, combed, and taught about that meeting and what happens there. It isn’t a casual event, but it is serious to her, and it will be serious to them. The lioness at the gate ensures that temple worship is taken care of in the family. She encourages that participation. She cares about seeking after her ancestors. If the lioness at the gate knows about and understands missions, missionaries, and the mission of the house of Israel, she will prepare future missionaries to go out from that home. It is very difficult to get a lion cub away from a lioness who doesn’t believe in missions, but if the lioness believes in a mission, she will devote her life to preparing the cub to go out and serve the Lord. That’s how important she is. Service happens if she cares about it.
Sisters, you are each like the lioness at the gate. This means that there has to be some prioritizing. I was taught years ago that when our priorities are out of order, we lose power. If we need power and influence to carry out our mission, then our priorities have to be straight. "
Wow!! There it is. After reading this I was very motivated to want to become a lioness at the gate of my home. I thought well how do I do this, and fortunately her talk gives us those instructions too. By prioritizing!! And doing those lists: the essentials, the necessaries, and the nice-to-dos. Lately, I have been feeling well to say the least not so motivated and after yesterday's conference and after reading Sister Beck's talk, I realized that my priorities had been out of order and that I needed to redress that part of my life. I knew this had been going on for quite a while. I was wondering what was wrong with me, am I going through prenatal depression, but down deep inside I knew what was wrong I just did not want to admit it to myself. I knew I wasn't doing the small and simple things that I needed to do. But after reading this and putting the things I learned yesterday in conference together, I learned that I just simply need to get off my behind and stop nagging myself and get to work. Today I started working on my lists and I am excited to see what will come of this list. I figured since I did not make any new year's resolutions as I usually do, this will become my new method of making resolutions.
Sister Julie B. Beck talk.
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Here are 32 reasons why Brad is so loved!!
1. "Papa let's me play guns with him!! (not literally)"- Little Bradley
2. "Papa has a big truck!"-Sammy
3. Papa works hard for us to have fun.
4. "Papa put Christmas outside" aka Christmas lights- Sammy
5. Papa fixes my toys, - The boys
6. "Papa builds the best geo trax"-Sammy
7. "Papa takes me to the kid play place" aka the gym -Little Bradley
8. "Papa makes good cookies for FHE."- The Boys
9. "Papa lets me workout with him."-Bradley
10. "Papa gives Bella baths."-Mom
11. "Papa gives us chicle"-The Boys
12. "Papa takes me to 7-11 and buys me a big gulp."-Bradley
13."Papa takes care of us."-The Boys
14. "Papa goes on missions to save people."-Bradley
15. "Papa let's me play with this smart phone"-Bradley
16. "Papa bought Mama a car map (GPS device)so she does not get lost."-Bradley
17. " Papa knows how to load the dishwasher better than Mama."-Mama
18. " Papa takes me for a run."-Sammy
19. "Papa does his own laundry when Mama can't get to it."-Mama
20. "Papa married Mama."-Mama and The Boys
21. " Papa plays air hockey with me."-Bradley
22. "Papa occassionaly surprises us with Papa Murphy's Pizza and cinnamon rolls."-Mama and The Boys
23. "When Papa takes us shopping at Sam's he always buys us pizza."-The Boys
24. "Papa takes us to the Tractor store (aka Lowe's or Home Depot) to shop for tools to fix things in the house."-The Boys
25. "Papa takes turns saying prayers."-Bradley
26."Papa reads to us."-The Boys
27. "Papa takes us on vacations."-Mama and The Boys
28. "Papa chases us with the vaccum cleaner"-The Boys
29. "Papa can carry me on his shoulders."-Sammy
30. "Papa teaches me to be a good brother."-Bradley
31. "Papa scoops up Bella's poop so I don't get dirty."-Bradley
32. "Papa is the best and we love for all that he does for us!!!"-Mama and The Boys